Ubuntu package - Was: Re: doveadm-server protocol change?

Peter Chiochetti pch at myzel.net
Tue May 31 08:31:50 UTC 2016

>>> Thank you. I just used ppa:patrickdk/production, but probably will try
>>> the xi.dovecot.fi packages.
>>
>> The question is, which of these locations is more trustworthy in the
>> sense of 'production ready'?
>>
>> Heiko
>
> I'd consider xi.dovecot.fi more reliable myself.
>
> AKi

Not having installed any of the two, I can say, as a Ubuntu user:

In ppa "/etc/init.d/dovecot" is a symlink to "/lib/init/upstart-job"

While xi packages places its own init script there.

Curiously, dpkg on installation seems not to unlink the existing one
first, but overwrite it with the new contents, thereby destroying
upstart -- This happened to me last year, I noticed early :)

Last checked in 2.2.22 xi package as seen from the contents, did that
change?

Possible workaround: remove the stock init file link ahead of installation?

--
peter