How does one mark all messages as read (imap4flag "seen") with sieve?

Ben Johnson ben at indietorrent.org
Sat Nov 5 17:01:06 UTC 2016

On 11/3/2016 10:07 PM, Ben Johnson wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I had hoped that marking all messages that arrive to a specific mailbox
> as read/seen would be as simple as applying the following sieve script
> to all incoming mail for that mailbox user:
>
> ########################
> require ["imap4flags"];
> addflag "\\Seen";
> ########################
>
> With this script in-place, mail does not appear to be marked as
> read/seen. It arrives as it normally would, and my email client sees it
> as new mail.
>
> Is something more required? Or is it a bug/limitation in my email client?
>
> I've found many examples of "addflag "\\Seen";" on the web, but all of
> them are wrapped in conditional logic of some variety. This is a
> spam-training mailbox and I simply want everything marked as seen/read
> upon arrival so I'm not bothered/notified every time.
>
> Thanks for any pointers here!
>
> -Ben

I had the afterthought that perhaps the problem is that my Antispam
plugin pipe-script simply writes the original message to the filesystem.
It doesn't use dovecot-lda, so the Sieve filters are not being applied.

I would use dovecot-lda if it didn't sefault with my pipe script. :(

Will just have to live with making messages read manually, I suppose!

-Ben