Backing up dovecot mailboxes

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 9 19:35:12 UTC 2016

On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 11:50:06 -0500
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> Does anyone have a working solution as to how I can use "doveadm
> backup" to back up a virtual users mailbox to a removable USB device.
>
> I keep receiving numerous errors and no files are backed up although
> the directories are created.

Well, a solution I demonstrated in our previous thread on this same
topic works for me (`doveadm user *` plus `dsync`.

The thread got derailed into into discussion of how to use
`doveadm backup` properly to have a one-step backup of all the virtual
users, but it was sadly inconclusive.

All-in-all, we need to see exact commands you run and exact error
messages you receive to be able to do suggestions or at least informed
guesses.