How does one mark all messages as read (imap4flag "seen") with sieve?

Ben Johnson ben at indietorrent.org
Wed Nov 9 23:49:00 UTC 2016

On 11/5/2016 1:22 PM, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> What OS/MTA are you using?  Can you give me (privately if you want) a
> re-hash of the LDA issues?
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 10.3 / Exim for my set up and LMTP for ALL deliveries,
> and it works great.

Thanks again for your willingness to help with this, Larry.

I'm using Postfix.

Regarding the OS, I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 here, which ships dovecot
2.2.22 at present.

---- Slightly off-topic, but I'll bring it full-circle... ----

Sure, a quick recap of the crashing issue I'm having with dovecot-lda:

I struggled to get this working the first time (in dovecot 2.0.19), but
prevailed with lots of help from this list. I described the roadblocks I
encountered along the way in this thread:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2013-June/091018.html

All was well until I upgraded from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS and
thereby from Dovecot 2.0.19 to 2.2.9. To be clear (and it may be very
relevant), this was a "manual" server migration and not an
OS-level/package-managed upgrade. Point being, the potential to botch
some aspect of the extremely fragile configuration was absolutely present!

I wrote about the problems I encountered after the upgrade here:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2014-July/097234.html

The thread died-out, but I rekindled it here:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2014-August/097385.html

I ran out of steam after a soft dead-end.

I wrote more about it a couple months later, mostly in the context of
difficulty with dovecot-lda logging in an effort to debug the issue, but
the thread received no replies:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2014-October/098127.html

Nearly two years later, I tried again:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2016-August/105221.html

The thread received some traction, and I changed the subject line to be
more accurate partway through, which begins here:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2016-August/105236.html

I ended-up running with Karol's final suggestion, which was to forego
the LDA in favor of a simple filesystem move/copy operation.

But now the problem I'm having (to bring it full circle!) is that I
can't mark the Antispam plugin's incoming emails as seen/read
automatically because they aren't delivered by an LDA. And I want to get
this working with an LDA again for this reason, among others, such as
quotas not being enforced when a "trained" message is "copied" on the
filesystem instead of "delivered" via an LDA.

The more I think about this, the more I think I should go back and study
the very first thread from June, 2013... maybe the solution is more or
less the same!

-Ben