lazy-load SNI?

Felipe Gasper felipe at felipegasper.com
Thu Nov 10 23:02:32 UTC 2016

Hello,

	We’re rolling out large SNI deployments for our mail servers. Each domain gets an entry like this in the config:

local_name mail.foo.com {
    ssl_cert = </ssl/domain_tls/*.foo.com/combined
    ssl_key = </ssl/domain_tls/*.foo.com/combined
}

	There are a couple problems we’re finding with this approach:

1) Dovecot wants to load everything at once, which has some machines taking up many GiB of memory just for Dovecot. Is there any way to defer loading of an SSL cert until a client actually requests it?

2) Any time we add or remove a domain, Dovecot’s SNI config matrix needs to be rebuilt. Is there a way to handle SNI requests dynamically via some sort of configuration plugin, so we wouldn’t need to rebuild the config on domain add/remove? I looked through the docs but couldn’t see a way to do this.

	Thank you in advance!

-Felipe Gasper
Mississauga, ON