Dovecot lmtp

Peter Fraser petros.fraser at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 18:08:46 UTC 2016

Hi All
I am migrating from dovecot-1.x where I had LDA running
to dovecot2-2.2.26.0_1 where I am trying to set up LMTP. I have enabled a
TCP/IP socket .Setting below.
service lmtp {
    inet_listener lmtp {
    address = 127.0.0.1
    port = 24
    }
}

and put this additional entry in postfix
 virtual_transport = lmtp:127.0.0.1:24

in 10-mail.conf my mail location is below
mail_location=maildir:~/Maildir:INBOX=~/Maildir/:INDEX=~/Maildir/tmp/index

My problem is that when I enable lmtp, dovecot creates a new maildir at
/home/vmail/user at domain.com and delivers the email there in a Maildir
instead of using the default one at /home/vmail/username

I researched it but I just can't seem to figure out why this is. I would
really appreciate any help on this. Thanks in advance.