Good email client to use with Dovecot?

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Thu Nov 17 21:28:38 UTC 2016

On 11/17/2016 04:58 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 14:11:45 +0100 Jochen Bern <Jochen.Bern at binect.de> wrote:
>> Plaintext or HTML mails?
>
> I like the ability to see some sort of representation of the links in
> incoming HTML email. I would never send HTML email.

Not quite sure what you mean with "representation" of links ... in most
cases of *human typed* HTML e-mails, there's a MIME
multipart/alternative text/plain part where links' URLs appear as part
of the text. However, generating the plaintext part is done by the
*senders'* MUAs, your own merely decides over whether the URL is
recognized as such and made *clickable*, rather than needing to be
copy-pasted into your browser.

>> I switched from tkRat (a.k.a. ratatosk) to Thunderbird when I had a
>> need to do "detached IMAP" (and tkRat repeatedly trashed my entire
>> INBOX when I tried).
>
> Did the corruption happen when you messed with it to try to work
> offline, or do you mean that usage during failure to connect caused
> corruption? Did it corrupt the IMAP you were trying to connect to, or
> just a cache?

It had official support for the setup (might even be where I saw the
term "detached IMAP"). Never had a problem with it and the original
(online) IMAP mode, but within ... a little less than a year IIRC after
switching, I found the server-side INBOX *completely empty* thrice.
(While being connected to the server, of course.)

> I have over 620K emails in over 1000 folders. This turns Thunderbird
> into an all day affair, just to refresh its caches.

Yeah, I can see that. I'm at about 1/6 of that, thanks to moving busy
folders' back-years *off* the IMAP server and into Thunderbird-style
"Local Folders" (which then can be copied to several places, as they
supposedly do not *change* anymore). Takes TB a couple hours to resync
when the cache has a problem - luckily, it does so in the background,
and I tend to spend entire workdays sitting in just *one* place.

Note that TB *does* have controls to limit the local cache by age and
message size, though. And that you can disable the local cache on a
folder-by-folder basis.

Kind regards,
--
Jochen Bern