Good email client to use with Dovecot?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Nov 18 00:49:31 UTC 2016

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 08:52:11 +0100 (CET)
Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2016, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > What email clients are all of you using to look at your IMAP
> > email?
>
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_(E-Mail-Programm)
>
> :-)

Thanks Steffen,

I installed Alpine and got it to work as a window to my Dovecot IMAP
server, but I could only "import" one mailbox at a time, and as I
mentioned earlier:

[slitt at mydesk ~]$ find /home/slitt/mail/Maildir -type d | wc -l
1254
[slitt at mydesk ~]$

These mailboxes are several levels deep, such as: .OLDFOLDERS.in.2012.
I have a few questions:

* How does one import *all* folders from the Dovecot server at once,
  without repeatedly typing in 192.168.100.2/ssl/user=slitt and all the
  rest of the process?

* Is there a way of viewing my folder hierarchy hierarchically,
  including collapse and expand?

* How does one manually expunge an email previously marked for
  deletion? I know it's possible because one config item is "*only*
  expunge manually." Is there a way of expunging ranges of emails?

* How does one switch the sort order while in the folder list or the
  message list?

* And most important, where can I find the best, most unambiguous
  Alpine documentation, that doesn't assume I know anything about
  Alpine?

Thanks,

 SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz