Maildir migration from Dovecot to Dovecot

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi
Tue Nov 22 11:08:17 UTC 2016

On 22.11.2016 12:46, Marco Hofmann (XenAdmin) wrote:
> Hello everbody,
>
> I'm a proud user of Dovecot 2.2.9 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I currently
> migrate all my Linux services to a new Debian 8 Jessie Server. On this
> server I installed and configured Dovecot 2.2.24.
>
> Now I search a way to migrate the two IMAP users I have on this server
> preserving all timestamps, folders and flags. Yes, only two ;-)
> I read the following two articles:
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Sync
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Dsync
>
> But I must say, that either these articles are not so good, or I act
> quite dumb.
> I understand that I have to use "doveadm backup" against my old server
> to make a one sync with all properties of each mail.
> What I miss are proper examples and that there are so many options, I
> could set.
> But what confuses me most is the the configuration file in
> (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Dsync) which I don't know how to
> reference?
> Am I using the wrong guides, are the article someway misleading or is
> there anything else I'm overlooking?
>
> Thank you so much!

Hi!

here's a quick guide for easy sync:

Make sure your config is up to date.

# first round
doveadm -o imapc_hostname=hostname -o imapc_password=password -o
imapc_username=username backup -u local-username imapc:

if you want to use master password, use imapc_username *and*
imapc_master_username.

# second round
doveadm -o imapc_hostname=hostname -o imapc_password=password -o
imapc_username=username sync -1 -u local-username imapc:

This all assumes that

doveadm user local-username

produces valid results

---