LDAP auth problems "unknown user"

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at lusan.id.au
Tue Nov 22 16:49:44 UTC 2016

Hi,
Thanks for the response - I had be bashing my head against the wall on
this for a few weeks. I even wrote a perl script to do the job for me
(hours of my life wasted). But I did get it to work with LDAP using a
corrected version of this config.

On Tue, 2016-11-22 at 14:57 +0100, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2016, Nikolai Lusan wrote:
>
> > dn = cn=admin,dc=maliuta,dc=org
> > base = ou=mail,dc=mailuta,dc=org
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Spot the problem ... one misplaced character, and enough alike that
only a second, third, or nth pair of eyes would have picked it up.

> > user_attrs = postfixDeliveryAddress=user
> > user_filter =
> > (&(postfixDeliveryEnabled=TRUE)(objectClass=postfixMailPerson))
> > pass_attrs = postfixDeliveryAddress=user,userPassword=password
> > pass_filter =
> > (&(postfixDeliveryEnabled=TRUE)(objectClass=postfixMailPerson)(post
> > fixD
> > eliveryAddress=%u))
>
> Your userdb and passdb filter differ, user_filter is missing the (a
>> some) %u part

Yeah, I am aware of that. I think I have it fixed in the final config -
once I turn on a heavy slapd debug load to see what dovecot was
actually sending to the LDAP server. :)

Now that the testing is over with a dummy host name I just have to go
back to fighting with LDAP to get my main domain working before
transferring all my mail to the new server, then setting up other
domains for clients.

This was not a real problem - it was a PEBKAC error. One that any
programmer/sysadmin is familiar with and suffers from at some point :)
--
Nikolai Lusan <nikolai at lusan.id.au>