Implementing secondary quota w/ "Archive" namespace

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Nov 24 18:52:50 UTC 2016

On 24 Nov 2016, at 9.33, Mark Moseley <moseleymark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> On 23 Nov 2016, at 0.49, Mark Moseley <moseleymark at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If I move messages between namespaces, it appears to ignore the quotas
>> I've
>>> set on them. A *copy* will trigger the quota error. But a *move* just
>>> happily piles on to the overquota namespace. Is that normal?
>>
>> Probably needs a bit more thinking, but I guess the attached patch would
>> help.
>>

> I appreciate the patch! Esp on a Weds night. I applied and rerolled
> dovecot, but I can still move messages into the over-quota namespace.

How about this updated patch?

> Out of curiosity, in the Quota wiki page, it mentions that 'in theory there
> could be e.g. "user quota" and "domain quota" roots'. That's also super
> interesting to me. Does anyone have any experience with that? I.e. any
> gotchas?

There's no automatic quota recalculation for domain quotas, because it would have to somehow sum up all the users' quotas. Also I think that it still does do the automatic quota recalculation if it gets into a situation where it realizes that quotas are wrong, but it'll then just use the single user's quota as the entire domain quota. So maybe it would work if you externally sum up all the users' quotas and update it to the domain quota in cronjob, e.g. once per hour. I guess it would be also nice if the internal quota recalculation could be disabled and maybe execute an external script to do it (similar to quota-warnings).