CPU for Dovecot

Leonardo Rodrigues leolistas at solutti.com.br
Fri Nov 25 15:15:34 UTC 2016

Em 25/11/16 11:29, Miloslav Hůla escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> we are planning to change hardware for our standalone Dovecot instance
> handling ~5800 IMAP users with 1TB mailboxes on local RAID. Is there
> some recommendation about CPU?
>
> We can choose from:
>  - Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 - 2,1GHz at 8,0GT 20MB cache, 8core, HT, 85W,
> LGA2011
>  - Intel Xeon E5-2623v4 - 2,6GHz at 8,0GT 10MB cache, 4core, HT, 85W,
> LGA2011
>
> The difference is about more cores vs. hi frequency.

     Generally speaking, servers will benefith from more cores instead
of faster cores. Servers usually are doing LOTS of things, and thus more
cores use to be better.

     Unless you know you'll be doing something heavily CPU intensive,
which generally mail related things are not.

     Even more important than choosing more cores x higher frequency,
you should focus on faster I/O. This, specially on mail servers, can do
a REAL difference !

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues