what user to use for SIS deduplication?

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Mon Nov 28 15:14:39 UTC 2016

Running Dovecot 2.2.25.

I have the following line in my root crontab:

"/usr/local/bin/doveadm sis deduplicate
/home/dovecot/buzones/attachments /home/dovecot/buzones/attachments/queue"

This line is execute each hour and the plan is to deduplicate
attachments stored in the SIS system.

This works well most of the time, but from time to time cron complains
with this error:

"""
Error: mkdir(/home/dovecot/buzones/attachments/bb/f8/hashes) failed: No
such file or directory
"""

In those situations I just create the directory by hand and set the
right permissions.

Interestingly, most of the time everything works fine, dovecot creates
the needed directories and everything is fine. But I get that error
every few days and I must create the directory by hand.

Am I running the deduplication process correctly?. It is launched as
"root" and I would expect it to "setgid()" to the right user/group
(dovemail). Should I run it in the dovemail cron?. I have a faint memory
of getting the very same error in that case, a missing hash directory,
but I am not sure I am recalling correctly.

Any advice?. Thanks.

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/