Outlook 2010 woes

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 12 17:16:21 UTC 2016

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:06:19 -0500
Bryan Holloway <bryan at shout.net> wrote:

[...]
> >> Basically what's happening is that users are seeing large delays
> >> when navigating between different IMAP folders. So, for example,
> >> user "X" is sitting idle in their INBOX. If they then click on
> >> another folder there's a good 6-7 second delay before you can view
> >> its contents. If you immediately then navigate to other folders,
> >> you get a rapid response. But if the client then goes idle again
> >> for 10+ seconds, you will get this delay again. Some are reporting
> >> the OS saying "Outlook is not responding." (Everyone is running
> >> Windows 7.)
> > [...]
> >> Any help, suggestions, or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Do you see
> >
> >   imap(username) Disconnected for inactivity in=X out=Y
> >
> > in the logs?
> >
> > From your description, it appears as if outlook gets disconnected at
> > some point, and that's why fast changing of the folders works OK
> > (the connection is live) and doing this after a pause forces a
> > reconnect with the following relogin.
> >
> > Just a shot in the dark but still...
>
> I do see quite a few of those, but I tend to see those for many
> clients across the board.
>
> That does make a lot of sense though. I'm looking at the logs right
> now, and I see what amounts to a login, followed by a disconnect
> 10-15 seconds later.
>
> I thought that a standard IMAP connection stays open for at least 30
> minutes based on the RFC. (?)

Unfortunately, I don't have much familiarity with this topic but please
try googling for the exact phrases dovecot + "Disconnected for
inactivity" (literally double quoted) -- and you'll discover a hefty
amount of past discussions touching this topic.  They may give you
further clues as to what things to try next.