Detect IMAP server domain name in Dovecot IMAP proxy

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Wed Oct 12 18:51:13 UTC 2016

  Quoting KT Walrus <kevin at my.walr.us>:

>> On Oct 12, 2016, at 2:07 PM, Rick Romero <admin at vfemail.net> wrote:
>>
>> Quoting KT Walrus <kevin at my.walr.us>:
>>
>>> I’m in the process of setting up a Dovecot IMAP proxy to handle a
>>
>> number
>>> of IMAP server domains. At the current time, I have my users divided
>>> into 70 different groups of users (call them G1 to G70). I want each
>>> group to configure their email client to access their mailboxes at a
>>> domain name based on the group they belong to (e.g., g1.example.com
>>> <http://g1.example.com/>, g2.example.com <http://g2.example.com/>, …,
>>> g70.example.com <http://g70.example.com/>). I will only support TLS
>>> encrypted IMAP connections to the Dovecot IMAP proxy (‘ssl=yes’ in
>>
>> the
>>> inet_listener). My SSL cert has alternate names for all 70 group domain
>>> names.
>>>
>>> I want the group domain to only support users that have been assigned
>>> the group the domain name represents. That is, a user assigned to G23
>>> would only be allowed to configure their email client for the IMAP
>>> server named g23.example.com <http://g23.example.com/>.
>>>
>>> My solution during testing has been to have the Dovecot IMAP proxy to
>>> listen on different ports: 9930-9999. I plan to purchase 70 IPs, one
for
>>> each group, and redirect traffic on port 993 to the appropriate Dovecot
>>> IMAP proxy port based on the IP I assign to the group domain name in
the
>>> site’s DNS. The SQL for handling the IMAP login uses the port number
of
>>> the inet_listener
>>>
>>> I think this could work in production, but it will cost me extra to
rent
>>> the 70 IPs and might be a pain to manage. Eventually, I would like to
>>> have over 5,000 groups so requiring an IP per group is less than ideal.
>>> I also think having Dovecot IMAP proxy have 5,000 inet_listeners might
>>> not work so well or might create too many threads/processes/ports to
fit
>>> on a small proxy server.
>>>
>>> I would rather have 1 public IP for each Dovecot IMAP proxy and somehow
>>> communicate to the userdb which group domain name was configured in the
>>> email client so only the users assigned to this group can login with
>>> that username.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> Do you have a SQL userdb?
>> Create a table or a 'host' field for the user.
>>
>> user_query = SELECT CONCAT(pw_name, '@', pw_domain) AS user, "89" as
uid,
>> "89" as gid, host, 'Y' AS proxy_maybe, pw_dir as home, pw_dir as
>> mail_home,
>> CONCAT('maildir:', pw_dir , '/Maildir/' ) as mail_location FROM vpopmail
>> WHERE pw_name = '%n' AND pw_domain = '%d'
>>
>> (mine is based on qmail/vpopmail)
>>
>> Then populate 'host' for each user if you don't have any other way of
>> programatically determining the host..

> [...]

Gotcha.  I used g1.example.com and g2.example.com.   There are some DNS
services that will provide unique records based on the region of the caller
- but I have no experience with those.  That's what I'd prefer to do in
the long run though.

In my setup, the 'host' field still has the internal IP of the servers
physically hosting mail at g1 and g2 in order to allow the user to connect
to g1 and still be redirected to g2 ('internally' via VPN) until they
manually change the mail server name in their client.  It also allows
seamless migrations.
All I need to be concerned with is database replication.

Rick