First steps in Dovecot; IMAP not working

Marnaud anic297 at mac.com
Thu Oct 13 09:18:51 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm new in Dovecot and am having troubles making it working. I'm trying using Outlook and Apple's Mail as the mail clients. Outlook says it can't establish a secured connection to the server (for the IMAP protocol). I'm guessing sending e-mails works but I can't check.

This is my current configuration (using dovecot -n):

# 2.2.13: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-042stab116.1 x86_64 Debian 8.6
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
protocols = " imap"
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0666
    user = postfix
  }
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imaps {
    port = 993
    ssl = yes
  }
}
ssl = no
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/mail.crt
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/mail.key
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

I find abnormal I'm seeing "ssl = no" in this configuration despite the fact that I have "ssl = required" in the /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-ssl.conf file, but I'm new to this...

I have looked around the web; finally, I'm asking here, hoping it's the correct place to ask.

Arnaud