First steps in Dovecot; IMAP not working

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 20:15:31 UTC 2016

Marnaud <anic297 at mac.com> writes:

> "mailtest", the new user, is in group mail(8).  In addition, I've added
> write permission for "others" to /var/mail.  Now, I'm trying to send a
> message to "mailtest" from another, working, e-mail account and nothing
> happens.  This time, "doveadm log errors" is empty.
>
> In short, I don't get any error but no mail either.

Two things to check:

 	# What does dovecot think user "mailtest" has?
 	doveadm user mailtest

 	# The sticky bit should be set on /var/mail (you didn't mention
 	# setting it.  It probably doesn't have bearing on this problem,
 	# but it will make it a little more secure.
 	chmod 1777 /var/mail

> Since "doveadm log errors" returns an empty result, where should I look
> for the problem?

I usually don't use this command, I look at the log file which seems
to have more details.  Try looking there for more diagnostics.  Also,
look at your MTA's logs as well.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>