Backing up and Importing IMAP folders

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Oct 20 13:18:12 UTC 2016

I am running Dovecot with Postfix on a FreeBSD machine. There are
problems with the drive and I cannot depend on it. Dovecot saves all
mail in IMAP format. I want to back up the mail folders, install a new
HD, install the latest FreeBSD OS and then reinstall my programs.
Reinstalling Dovecot is simple, but how do I reinstall the IMAP
folders? Can Dovecot backup the folders onto a CD and then import them
when I reinstall it? My mail is kept under “/var/mail/vmail”. Should I
just back up that entire directory structure and then restore it later?

Thanks!

--
Jerry