Server migration

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 06:38:03 UTC 2016

Il 26 ott 2016 8:30 AM, "Aki Tuomi" <aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi> ha scritto:
> I would recommend using same major release with replication.
>
> If you are using maildir++ format, it should be enough to copy all the
> maildir files over and start dovecot on new server.

This is much easier than dovecot replication as i can start immedialy with
no need to upgrade the old server

my only question is: how to manage the email received on the new server
during the last rsync phase?
As i wrote previously,  i have some huge maildirs where rsync take hours to
scan all files
i can't keep the server down for hours or customers won't receive any new
emails, so, after the initial sync i have to move the mailbox on the new
server (only for deliveries) . In this way I'll not loose any emails but
the new servers as newer data than the old server.
When doing rsync with --delete, the news mails would be removed

A solution could be to disable customer access to the new server and put
"new" directory in rsync exclude. Doing this won't delete the newly
received emails as the "new" directory isn't synced.
and no one osd able to move from new to cur as users are blocked for login.