Outlook 2010 woes

Bryan Holloway bryan at shout.net
Fri Oct 28 00:09:23 UTC 2016

So after several days of more troubleshooting, I have some things to
report to the list.

First and foremost, I have discovered that the issue has nothing to do
with SSL/TLS, which was my earlier suspicion because after doing some
PCAPs I discovered that the transactions were negotiating TLS 1.2 on the
new server, as opposed to 1.0 on the old.

Also thank you for the rawlog suggestion: that helped a lot in
determining what was happening on the IMAP level.

That all said, this is what I've discovered:

There is a very curious and reproducible four-second delay during the
negotiation between server and client which is not present in Dovecot
2.1. This is what our customer is complaining about using Outlook 2010.

During a plaintext TCP stream, I'm seeing this:

1. Client connects (SYN) to server.

2. Server ACKs and throws back CAPABILITIES.

3. User attempts to auth with DIGEST-MD5.

4. Server says, "no thanks." (Not sure why, but I don't believe this is
relevant.)

5. User attempts to auth with plaintext.

6. Server says, "Yup. You are you. You're logged in."

7. Client sends the following: ID ("name" "Microsoft Outlook" "version"
"14.0")

8. Server sends an ACK

... and then there's this very curious four-second delay.

9. Server then sends out new CAPABILITIES, and everything proceeds
thereafter as normal and zippy and fast.

Does this shed any light on the subject?