Safe to run migration on live/production server?

mrobti at insiberia.net mrobti at insiberia.net
Mon Oct 31 09:19:43 UTC 2016

I have an old mbox formatted INBOX and folders that need to be converted
to a Maildir. Can I run the dsync command when the server is live and
Dovecot LMTP is delivering new mails to the same user?

Will it be able to preserve UIDs and not confuse any indexes?

I started the job with deliveries disabled so the conversion could
complete, but it's taking too long.  I want to know if I can re-enable
mail deliveries and not cause problems.

I see it building a massive number of files in the user's Maildir/tmp
folder, which I presume is normal.

By the way, what's the size multiplier for mbox to maildir for many
small emails only a couple K each? I'm finding it's a lot more disk
space for maildir in this case.