Dovecot 2.2.25 fails on SSL

Andreas M. Kirchwitz amk at spamfence.net
Tue Sep 6 03:03:47 UTC 2016

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can also affect where shared libraries are loaded using the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.  Try adding
>
>  	LD_LIBARY_PATH=/location/of/libdir; export LD_LIBARY_PATH
>
> to your service boot scripts.

Thanks for the advice. It's fine for a temporary working around
problems (like this one, so you're absolutely right :-)

However, no program should require that for regular use because
you never know exactly if somebody in the chain of executed code
removes certain environment variables. And also the opposite way,
if Dovecot runs external programs, those might not play well
with an existing LD_LIBARY_PATH and incompatible SSL libraries.

For every program I compile myself, I link it against my custom
OpenSSL library (always newest version; distributions usually tend
to stick with a specific version and only apply security fixes).
For most packages (eg, Exim, Apache HTTP, BIND, INN, OpenSSH,
Mutt, wget etc.) it pretty straightforward. Even if not, usually
I can find a quick solution myself.

Dovecot is the only package I know of where there are like a thousand
places to put additional libs in the Makefile.am files, but most of
them are totally ignored by configure. And even if I modify the
Makefile files after configure, again most of the additional options
get ignored. Never seen it that complicated.

As Dovecot is my favorite IMAP daemon, there's no way I'm giving up. :-)

I'm totally confident that the developers will find a good solution.
And I'm happy to test every patch they come up with.

	Greetings, Andreas