How to obtain a "non-stripped" executable for producing a usable core-dump

Ben Johnson ben at indietorrent.org
Wed Sep 14 01:52:35 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm attempting to capture a core-dump file, and gdb reports

warning: core file may not match specified executable file.

And only after installing "dovecot-dbg" on my system (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)
does gdb report further

warning: the debug information found in "/lib64/ld-2.23.so" does not
match "/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2" (CRC mismatch).

It took some searching the internet to realize that both messages are
likely the result of having a "stripped" executable:

# file /usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda
/usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32,
BuildID[sha1]=49c9c607c304a5c853c05a4ccb9e4b995f185ac4, stripped

So, how best I am I to obtain a "non-stripped" dovecot-lda executable?

Must I forego my distro's repositories and download the dovecot source,
compiling every executable and all plugins "from scratch", in order to
obtain a useful core-dump file?

Perhaps the bug report instructions at
http://www.dovecot.org/bugreport.html should mention "stripped"
executables and how to avoid them. Perhaps I am simply ignorant, but if
that is the case, there is little to no hope for the "average user"
where submitting bug reports is concerned.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Ben