Sieve vacation won't send second reply after timeout interval.

David Williams davidjw at calypso-it.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 14:01:12 UTC 2016

Hi there

I'm having problems getting sieve to send a second vacation response.
For testing I've set sieve_vacation_min_period = 500s and the seconds
option in the script is 600. I send the first test message and get a
reply fine I then wait about 12 minutes send a second message and get no
reply. In the log I get "discarded duplicate response". I've restarted
dovecot and  removed the .dovecot.lda-dupes file before running the last
test. I'm using LMTP for delivery to Dovecot.

The sieve script is

require ["vacation-seconds"];
# rule:[Vacation]
if true
{
        vacation :seconds 600 :addresses "username at mydomain.com"
:subject "vacation" "test";
}

and doveconf -n is

# 2.2.19: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.4.9 (357ac0a0e68b+)
# OS: Linux 3.18.12-gentoo x86_64 Gentoo Base System release 2.2 ext4
auth_username_format = %Ln
disable_plaintext_auth = no
imap_capability = +XLIST
mail_location = maildir:/srv/mail/%n/Maildir
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date index ihave duplicate vacation-seconds
imapflags notify
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox "Sent Items" {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Spam {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = *
  driver = pam
}
plugin {
  sieve = file:~/sieve;active=~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_before = /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
  sieve_default = /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
  sieve_extensions = +notify +imapflags +vacation-seconds
  sieve_vacation_default_period = 1d
  sieve_vacation_min_period = 500s
  sieve_vacation_use_original_recipient = yes
}
postmaster_address = postmaster at mydomain.com
protocols = imap lmtp sieve
service auth {
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group =
    mode = 0777
    user =
  }
}
service lmtp {
  inet_listener lmtp {
    address = 127.0.0.1
    port = 10024
  }
}
service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    port = 4190
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/dovecot/server.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/dovecot/server.key
submission_host = localhost
userdb {
  driver = passwd
  override_fields = home=/srv/mail/%n
}
protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = sieve
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = sieve
}

I've changed the identifying info to stop any spammers. Any ideas,
suggestions or just another pair of eyes telling me I've done something
stupid would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

David