Setting hostdomain

Arie Peterson ariep at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 25 18:34:30 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Preparing for a replication setup, I read (at the bottom of
<http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Replication>) that `dovecot --hostdomain` should
give a different output on the two servers. This is not the case for me: both
give "localhost". I'm trying to change my configuration to set the hostdomain
to another value, but I can't find how to do this.

I tried:

• setting the environment variable DOVECOT_HOSTDOMAIN=mydomain in
/etc/default/dovecot (which is read by the init script);

• adding the line
import_environment = TZ DOVECOT_HOSTDOMAIN=mydomain
to dovecot.conf;

• the combination of both of the above.

However, after restarting dovecot none of these changes seem to have any
effect: `dovecot --hostdomain` still returns "localhost".

This is with dovecot version 2.2.13.

How should one change this setting?

Thanks,

Arie