Trying to regain access to my email archive after an upgrade.

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hpe.com
Tue Sep 27 20:36:25 UTC 2016

Hi -

I had been running an Ubuntu 12.04 system on which I receive email, with
an inbox in /var/mail/ and a bunch of folders under ~/Maildir.  When I
upgraded from 14.04 there were a bunch of questions about keeping
old/new config files and my muddling through it has me seeing only the
inbox, and then a Drafts, Sent and Trash Folder.

I would like to regain access to the messages stored under ~/Maildir,
but have been thoroughly unsuccessful.  I seem to run into duplicate
prefix issues and I suspect I have other issues, when I try to add:

namespace rest {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   location = maildir:~/Maildir
}

to what is already present.  I've seen a few of the wiki pages, but not
fully understanding what is going-on I'm afraid I've not groked them
terribly well.

any help/pointers for this cluser would be much appreciated.

rick jones

raj at tardy:~$ dovecot --version
2.2.9

raj at tardy:~$ dovecot -n
# 2.2.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
doveconf: Warning: NOTE: You can get a new clean config file with:
doveconf -n > dovecot-new.conf
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:25:
'imaps' protocol is no longer necessary, remove it
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:732:
protocol managesieve {} has been replaced by protocol sieve { }
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:904:
add auth_ prefix to all settings inside auth {} and remove the auth {}
section completely
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:942:
passdb pam {} has been replaced by passdb { driver=pam }
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:1055:
userdb passwd {} has been replaced by userdb { driver=passwd }
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:1117:
auth_user has been replaced by service auth { user }
# OS: Linux 3.13.0-95-generic x86_64 Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
auth_mechanisms = plain login
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_privileged_group = mail
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
}
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
protocols = imap
service auth {
   user = root
}
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}
protocol pop3 {
   pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
}
raj at tardy:~$ vi /etc/dovecot/conf.d/15-mailboxes.conf