[BUG] client state / Message count mismatch with imap-hibernate and mixed POP3/IMAP access

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Thu Apr 6 07:02:16 EEST 2017

Hello,

this is on Debian Jessie box, dovecot 2.2.27 from backports,
imap-hibernate obviously enabled.

I've been seeing a few of these since starting this cluster (see previous
mail), they all follow the same pattern, a user who accesses their mailbox
with both POP3 and IMAP deletes mails with POP3 and the IMAP
(imap-hibernate really) is getting confused and upset about this:

---

Apr  6 09:55:49 mbx11 dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<redacted at gol.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=xxx.xxx.x.46, lip=xxx.xxx.x.113, mpid=951561, secured, session=<2jBV+HRM1Pbc9w8u>
Apr  6 10:01:06 mbx11 dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<redacted at gol.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=xxx.xxx.x.46, lip=xxx.xxx.x.41, mpid=35447, secured, session=<uZw7C3VM9vfc9w8u>
Apr  6 10:01:07 mbx11 dovecot: pop3(redacted at gol.com): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=1/1, size=20674 session=<uZw7C3VM9vfc9w8u>
Apr  6 10:01:07 mbx11 dovecot: imap(redacted at gol.com): Error: imap-master: Failed to import client state: Message count mismatch after handling expunges (0 != 1)
Apr  6 10:01:07 mbx11 dovecot: imap(redacted at gol.com): Client state initialization failed in=0 out=0 head=<0> del=<0> exp=<0> trash=<0> session=<2jBV+HRM1Pbc9w8u>
Apr  6 10:01:15 mbx11 dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<redacted at gol.com>, method=PLAIN, rip=xxx.xxx.x.46, lip=xxx.xxx.x.113, mpid=993303, secured, session=<6QC6C3VMF/jc9w8u>
Apr  6 10:07:42 mbx11 dovecot: imap-hibernate(redacted at gol.com): Connection closed in=85 out=1066 head=<0> del=<0> exp=<0> trash=<0> session=<6QC6C3VMF/jc9w8u>

---

Didn't see these errors before introducing imap-hibernate, but then again
this _could_ be something introduced between 2.2.13 (previous generation
of servers) and .27, but I highly doubt it.

My reading of the log is that the original IMAP session
(<2jBV+HRM1Pbc9w8u>) fell over and terminated, resulting in the client to
start up a new session.
If so and with no false data/state transmitted to the client it would be
not ideal, but not a critical problem either.

Would be delighted if Aki or Timo could comment on this.

If you need any further data, let me know.

Christian
chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/