AW: dovecot & iOS

Dirk Laurenz samba at laurenz.ws
Tue Apr 11 12:04:33 EEST 2017

Thanks, so how can i migrate this?

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: dovecot [mailto:dovecot-bounces at dovecot.org] Im Auftrag von Aki Tuomi
Gesendet: Montag, 20. März 2017 12:07
An: dovecot at dovecot.org
Betreff: Re: dovecot & iOS

On 20.03.2017 12:58, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2017, Dirk Laurenz wrote:
>
> > What's anying is, that only on iOS (   ) i see a huge bunch of
> .CONTROL directories - marked grey.
>
> > It seems to be a copy of the existing folder structure. I don't see
> this on
>
> (Y)
>
> > Is there any chance to configure dovecot to hide those folders to iOS?
>
> I suppose, the mail app under iOS does display all mailboxs, the other
> ones display subscribed ones only.
>
> Because:
>
> > mail_location =
> maildir:~/Maildir:INBOX=~/Maildir/Inbox:LAYOUT=fs:CONTROL=~/Maildir/.C
> ONTROL:INDEX=~/Maildir/.INDEX
>
> ~/Maildir is your top mailbox directory.
> Then you add Inbox, control and indexes into the very same tree.
> Moreover control and index have names with a leading dot, which means
> "is a mailbox" in Maildir.
>
> Why did you places control and index into a different tree at all, if
> you place them into the mailbox storage anyway?
>
> Either move them to ~/[.]control and ~/[.]index (with or without
> leading dot) or remove the settings at all and join control and index
> with the existing hierarchie.
>
> -- Steffen Kaiser

As a general rule, it is a good idea to have separate Mailformat directory
(such as Maildir or Mail) under mail_home which contains only your Maildir,
sdbox, mdbox whatever format files only, and keep control and index *OUT* of
this directory. Same goes for sieve. This is because, as seen above, Maildir
contents can be mistakenly interpreted as mail folders, causing problems.

So avoid this:

mail_home=/var/mail/%u
mail_location=/var/mail/%u

instead use