Dovecot not listening when testing connection

Alvaro Lacerda alacerda at cantella.com
Thu Apr 20 17:33:43 EEST 2017

Hi,

This is my environment:

SMTP: Exim 4.89 with Mailscanner 5.0.3

IMAP: Dovecot 2.2.10

At the moment I'm just trying to test out my Dovecot to check if it's
listening on port 993.

*netstat -tuln:* Shows that my machine is listening on ports 143 and 993.

*telnet localhost 993: *This is my issue, I get the following message:

# telnet localhost 993
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

According to the wiki.dovecot test installation page I should be getting
this instead:

https://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

When I run doveconf this is what I get:

# doveconf protocols listen
protocols = imap pop3 lmtp
listen = *, ::

Does anyone have an idea of what I'm missing here? Thanks.

--
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete this material from any computer.

Cantella does not permit execution of trades requested by email.  Please call to ensure prompt execution of orders, as we are not responsible for orders transmitted through email.

Investing involves risk and you may incur a profit or a loss. Please carefully consider investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses before investing.  Cantella & Co., Inc. does not provide legal or tax advice. For legal or tax advice, please seek the services of a qualified professional.  The performance data featured represents past performance, which is no guarantee of future results.  Mutual funds and UITs are sold by prospectus only. Please carefully consider the fund's investment objective, risks, charges and expenses applicable to a continued investment in the fund before investing. For this and other information, call or write for a free prospectus, or view one online. Read it carefully before you invest or send money.

Fixed income is subject to availability and change in price.  Bonds are subject to market and interest rate risk if sold prior to maturity.  Interest rate increases can cause the price of a debt security to decrease.  Interest income may be subject to federal, state, local, and/or alternative minimum tax.

In accordance with industry regulations, all messages are retained and are subject to monitoring.

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content and is believed to be clean.

Securities offered through Cantella & Co., Inc., Member FINRA/SIPC.
Home Office: 28 State St 40th Floor, Boston, MA 02109
Telephone: (800)652-8358