Feature Request - Director Balance

Webert de Souza Lima webert.boss at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 17:35:49 EEST 2017

Hi,

often I run into the situation where a dovecot server goes down for
maintenance, and all users get concentrated in the remaining dovecot server
(considering I have 2 dovecot servers only).

When that dovecot server comes back online, director server will send new
users to it, but the dovecot server that was up all the time will still
have tons of clients mapped to it.

I suggest the director servers to always try to balance load between
servers, in the way:

 - if a server has several more connections than other, mark it to
re-balance
 - when a user connected to this loaded server disconnects, map it to
another server (that is per definition not the same server) immediately.

that way it would gracefully re-balance, not killing existing connections,
just waiting for them to finish.

Thank you for your time.

Webert Lima
MAV Tecnologia