LDAP schema ?

Mihai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Fri Apr 21 09:58:10 EEST 2017

On Friday 21 April 2017 08:36:47 Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2017, Dave Dodd wrote:
> > I am trying to determine the correct LDAP schema I need to use to have
> > either mailLocation or mailboxPath available ?
> >
> > Should I be just adding this to one of my own custom objectClasses ?
>
> Surprisingly, lots of installations seem to work with standard schemas -
> if you believe internet search results.
>
> Dovecot's LDAP connection is very generic, so maybe it's easier to adopt
> Dovecot to an existing infrastructure than vice verse.
>
> However, I have added several Dovecot related attributes and some
> objectclasses to my schema, esp. to support the generic userdb_import .
>
> --
> Steffen Kaiser
Let me summarize:
In fact, when using the /etc/passwd the only information dovecot need is the
username and the password.
So if you switch to ldap you only need those attributes. ( The e-mail address
is not needed by dovecot, but is needed for MTA)
You can then use the inetorgperson schema without problems.
But, since you want to use LDAP, you probably want to take advantage of the
user managements tools, you want to use a Global Address List, maybe multiple
servers etc.
When I started to configure my template, i searched for a schema with
"vacation" attribute. I even wrote a postfix filter who used this attribute to
generate autoresponder messages. I found ispenv2.ldif , i still use it, even I
switched to sieve for autoresponder so i don't need vacation anymore.
But ispenv2 has also some nice attributes for managing users "ISP style":
details about payment, contract, price, user disabled etc

In the mean time I started to use parts from the kolab project. So I consider
to start using also their schema in the future, because it has some attributes
useful for enterprise usage scenario ( and because I want to have some
compatibility)

So, at the end, the reason for choosing a schema or extending the existing one
is not related mainly to the mail system ( which works great with
inetorgperson schema, for example) but rather to the organizational model you
use .