System load spike on dovecot reload

dave at evilcigi.eu dave at evilcigi.eu
Fri Apr 21 11:43:47 EEST 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm running dovecot with quite a lot of users and lots of active imap
connections (like 20'000). I'm using different user IDs for users, so I
need to have imap {service_count=1} - i.e. I have a lots of imap
processes running.

Everything works fine, until I reload dovecot configuration. When that
happen, every client is forced to relogin in the same time and that
causes a huge system load spike (2-3000 5 min load).

I was thinking that it would be great, if dovecot wouldn't kick all the
users in the same time during reload, but somehow gradually, during
specified interval. I'm aware of the shutdown_clients directive that
could help, but I don't like it - I do want the clients get disconnected
on dovecot shutdown and also I want them to relogin in reasonably short
time after reload.

Is something like that possible with dovecot or does it make sense to
implement that in the future versions?

Thank you.

Dave.