IMAP From sort uses only local-part

Paul lists at pote.com
Tue Aug 8 17:08:28 EEST 2017

On August 7, 2017, at 2:56pm, Michael Slusarz wrote:

> This is the RFC 5256 compliant behavior.? From is sorted on addr-mailbox.?

Interesting.

I can't be the only person who's found this to be a limitation, right?
It would be very useful to sort by actual sender, not just to group all
the michael@'s together, then all the paul@'s, etc.

I'm just a user looking for a workaround, not a protocol architect, but
it looks like the RFC also specifies that SORT is extensible, so maybe
the most correct, if not the easiest, solution would be to define a new
sort key such as DOMAIN.