is a self signed certificate always invalid the first time?

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 9 19:05:53 EEST 2017

Alef,

Certbot creates regular certificates that can be used by dovecot to get a “validated” connection to the mailserver.
You obviously need to do the certbot walk to gain the certificate, but if you have it, you can use it for dovecot.

Just refer to it in the configuration and you should be fine..

Cheers
Remko