migrating 2.1 to 3.x, sql pass scheme, pass value?

voytek at sbt.net.au voytek at sbt.net.au
Tue Aug 15 02:50:27 EEST 2017

On Tue, August 15, 2017 8:54 am, Noel Butler wrote:
> On 15/08/2017 08:18, voytek at sbt.net.au wrote:

> Forget looking at dovecot at teh moment, your problem maybe mysql (I'd
> hope you meant mariadb but either way...)
>
> use command line mysql as vmail user from your dovecot machine to test
> password further BEFORE tinkering with dovecot.
>
> ~$ mysql -p -v vmail

Noel, thanks

MySQL on old, MariaDB on new

OK, KEYING in password as I have:

(you meant -u, no?)

]# mysql -p -u vmail
Enter password:
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 1245
Server version: 10.1.19-MariaDB MariaDB Server

Copyright (c) 2000, 2016, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input
statement.

MariaDB [(none)]> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database           |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
| postfix            |
| vmail              |
+--------------------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

MariaDB [(none)]>

I've used the password i've made, NOT the string I have in
/etc/dovecot/mysql file

> enter password <what I do is copy and paste the password from the file
> FIRST, not being lazy, because it verifies and checks the exact password
> you have told dovecot to send>

BUT, when I use OLDSERVER hashed string

on OLD server, it's OK

on NEW server, fail:

# mysql -p -u vmail
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vmail'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

so, the hashed string I've copied /transfered from OLD server 'as is'
doesn't work on NEW

how do I generate hashed string from my password ?