migrating 2.1 to 3.x, sql pass scheme, pass value?

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Aug 16 00:50:06 EEST 2017

On 15/08/2017 22:58, voytek at sbt.net.au wrote:

> On Tue, August 15, 2017 10:27 pm, Noel Butler wrote:
>
>> HUH?
>> Are you trying to login to mysql using the hash itself?
>
> Noel, thanks!!
>
> oops, misunderstood instruction...
>
> this is better:
>
> USER voytek at xxxxx.tld
> +OK
> PASS **********
> +OK Logged in.
> LIST
> +OK 0 messages:
>
>> That wont work, and its not what you are supposed to be doing as evident
>> by fact you can login using plain password, you're looking in the wrong
>> area, since the database stores passwords hashed, you enter it in, in
>> plain text, the database them does its magic to convert what you entered
>> in, into a hash and does the matching in its own backend, so to speak.
>
> what value should I have in /etc/dovecot/dovecot-mysql.conf
> in
> default_pass_scheme = ???

Use:   CRYPT

This allows you to use whatever your system supports in your database
password fields, with modern OS's thats anything from md5 (shudder the
thought) to salted sha512 and probably more these days depending on what
other goodies your distro adds, dovecot will send it to the underlying
OS crypt function that does all the hard work.

--
Kind Regards,

Noel Butler

 		This Email, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore remains confidential and subject to copyright
protected under international law. You may not disseminate, discuss, or
reveal, any part, to anyone, without the authors express written
authority to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
the sender then delete all copies of this message including attachments,
immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not
waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message. Only
PDF [1] and ODF [2] documents accepted, please do not send proprietary
formatted documents

Links:
------
[1] http://www.adobe.com/