Filter of old Thunderbird installation interferes with lmtp/ Mail delivery / sieve

Jürgen Gmach juergen.gmach at apis.de
Fri Aug 18 15:20:31 EEST 2017

# 2.2.13: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 4.9.25 i686 Gentoo Base System release 2.2
# pidgeonhole v0.4.3
# Thunderbird 3.0.4

impact
------
Emails, for which the filter applies, gets copied to the desired folder,
but get kept in the inbox with deleted flag (in Roundcube you see them
grayed out a bit, in Thunderbird they are not shown at all).

When the incoming email is from an internal mailing list (mailman),
beginning with the user with the buggy Thunderbird all following emails
of the internal users are flagged as deleted, but only if the user has a
sieve file in their directory - no matter whether it is active or not.

After activating detailed logging the user with the "problematic" filter
was found quickly.

The error is reproducible:
- install old Thunderbird version
- create filter
- write an email, which triggers the filter
-> email is flagged deleted but does not get deleted

Though, the user does not have a sieve file on our server, the filtering
happened in the very same second when the email was delivered to the
other colleagues.

Both Thunderbird and Pidgeonhole are outdated, so I am unsure if you are
even interested in this bug report.

Fix
---
I made the user to update his Thunderbird version -> no more problems.
Anyhow, a single "user interaction" should not be able to effect other
mail accounts (ie Thunderbirds filter somehow disturbed the lmtp
process).

--
Jürgen Gmach . juergen.gmach at apis.de . +49 9482 941545
APIS Informationstechnologien GmbH . http://www.apis.de