is a self signed certificate always invalid the first time

KT Walrus kevin at my.walr.us
Sun Aug 20 20:50:14 EEST 2017

> On Aug 20, 2017, at 1:32 PM, Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw at ithnet.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 12:29:49 -0400
> KT Walrus <kevin at my.walr.us> wrote:
>
>>> On Aug 20, 2017, at 11:52 AM, Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw at ithnet.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> DNS verification sounds nice only on first glimpse.
>>> If you have a lot of domains and ought to reload your DNS for every
>>> verification of every single domain that does not look like a method with a
>>> small footprint or particularly elegant.
>>
>> I don’t understand what you are trying to say. I have over 170 domains that
>> I generate certs for automatically using the acme.sh script. It is all
>> automatic and requires no “reload your DNS” by me. The script just updates
>> the DNS with a record that Let’s Encrypt checks before issuing the
>> certificate. After Let’s Encrypt verifies that you can update the DNS for
>> your domain with the record, the script removes the record.
>>
>> This actually works much better than HTTP especially for domains like for
>> email servers that don’t have an HTTP server deployed for them.
>>
>> Kevin
>

> You can't update a record without reloading configs in bind. I guess you are
> using some other DNS service...

I use Cloudflare (free DNS) and DNS Made Easy (paid DNS). I would never run my own DNS service except for communicating between my Docker services internally (Docker has its own internal DNS for this and there are many pre-built docker images to provide a public DNS service, if required). But, Let’s Encrypt requires you update the public DNS used by the domains you are generating certs for. If you run your own public DNS service (for your Dovecot domains), you should pick one that has an API for updating the DNS records from a script like acme.sh or simply write your own custom hook for acme.sh to use.

See this page for all the DNS services that acme.sh supports:

https://github.com/Neilpang/acme.sh/tree/master/dnsapi <https://github.com/Neilpang/acme.sh/tree/master/dnsapi>

Kevin