Upgrade to 2.2.32 from 2.2.15 failed

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Sun Dec 3 20:50:54 EET 2017

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 10:13:58 +0200 (EET) Aki Tuomi <aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi> wrote:

> > On November 25, 2017 at 7:04 AM Mark Foley <mfoley at ohprs.org> wrote:
> >
> > I have a problem. I have been running Dovecot 2.2.15 and I'd like to upgrade. My distro
> > (Slackware) has dovecot 2.2.32 available. I downloaded and installed that, but it didn't work.
> > No one was able to get messages from the dovecot server on their workstations. The following is
> > the entire dovecot log file from startup to the last message generated. No more messages went
> > into the logfile after line 76, even with clients trying to connect. The 174.233.134.88 IP is
> > from an external user connecting from his iPhone. The normal successful message from this user
> > are shown at bottom.
> >
> > I'm suspecting something to do with line 18 where is says "Auth process broken." If anyone has
> > any insight I'd deeply appreciate it as I'd love to upgrade.
> >
> > THX -- Mark
> >

> Can you try adding
>
> service auth {
>   executable = strace -o /tmp/auth.trace /usr/libexec/dovecot/auth
> }
>
> and see if it gives any insight why it dies?
>
> Aki

The problem was that I did an install from sbopkg which downloads and installs the package in
the SlackBuilds repository. This mechanism does not easily allow setting options. I needed to
have the --with-gssapi=yes option set.

So, I just downloaded directly from http://www.dovecot.org/releases/2.2/dovecot-2.2.33.2.tar.gz
and did:

./configure --with-gssapi=yes
make
make install

and everything appears to be working fine!

--Mark