Recommended tool for migrating IMAP servers

Paolo tech-lists at fcr.re.it
Tue Dec 5 10:20:16 EET 2017

Il 04/12/2017 17:37, Michael Slusarz ha scritto:
>> I think Davide was asking about dsync. If so, the answer is no: dsync
>> works only when both servers are Dovecot and needs some additional
>> configuration to work through the network (see
>> https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Replication).
> This is entirely incorrect.  The source platform for dsync can be ANY IMAP/POP server.
>
> The recommended tool for migrating into Dovecot is dsync.  You don't need any other tool, and other tools aren't going to preserve state so they are pretty much worthless for a real-world in-place migration.
Entirely?! At most half incorrect. My apologies, I didn't know about the
dsync's IMAP feature (I suppose it wasn't there from the beginning).
This fact still remain: you can use dsync only when dovecot is involved.
Even so (IMHO) the sentence "You don't need any other tool" is a bit too
much. Who ever know all possible use cases in the world?
Cheers
Paolo