Disabling index files?

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 13:53:45 EET 2017

The wiki says:

> Each mailbox has its own separate index files. **If the index files are disabled**, the same structures are still kept in the memory, except cache file is disabled completely (because the client probably won't fetch the same data twice within a connection). [1]

I tend to grep my maildirs quite often, and use the output to cp emails to other folders, so it's annoying when the dovecot.index.cache files show up in the results.

How do I disable the index files, please?

My mail server is hardly loaded, so I don't think it'll be a problem to keep the caching in memory.

I can find `mailbox_list_index = no` in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf but this seems to be enabled by default, and it makes no difference when I enable it explicitly - deleted dovecot.index.cache are recreated when Dovecot is restarted. The setting `mbox_min_index_size` tends to suggests it's only for mbox files, not maildirs?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Stroller.

[1] https://wiki.dovecot.org/IndexFiles