hosting emails at home

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Dec 11 20:41:44 EET 2017

--On Monday, December 11, 2017 1:07 PM -0500 Ruben Safir
<ruben at mrbrklyn.com> wrote:

> thatis not secure and you might as well use gmail
>
> It is not so hard to just get a static IP and put a mail server up.

Why do you think this isn't secure?

Gmail wouldn't let me run my own spam and AV solution. My external server
gives me full control, with sendmail, MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin, ClamAV,
dovecot, and procmail. I could, in principle, keep a remote copy of all my
mail there and dsync it to my home server. I'm using fetchmail (with SSL
option) only because I didn't understand dsync when I set it up.

I'm still a bit unclear on how dsync decides which users to sync. All my
users are real system users, not virtual users. I'd like to retire my 3
older accounts on my home system to never receive email again, only provide
it for archival reading, and direct all my mail to new accounts that could
be dsync'd to the leased external server. So I'd want to limit dsync to
only sync the new accounts. Which might even be virtual.