v2.3.0 release candidate released

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Dec 21 13:26:57 EET 2017

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 13:50:06 +0300, Odhiambo Washington stated:
>On 21 December 2017 at 01:16, Michael Grimm <trashcan at ellael.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > What am I missing here:
>> >
>> > OS = FreeBSD 8.4
>> >
>> > Here is how it fails during `gmake`:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Hmm, FBSD 8.4 has reached End of Life a long time ago, namely on August 1,
>> 2015. It has not seen security updates ever since :-(
>>
>> Thus, I am just curious: but why can't you upgrade to either 10.x or 11.x?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Michael

>Hi Michael,
>
>I know about that EoL, but I do believe it has nothing to do with the
>failure to compile Dovecot, or does it?
>
>I am moving to new hardware and latest FreeBSD version soon. In the
>meantime, I need to run Dovecot on it.

FreeBSD is a very finicky creature. I have had problems in the past where
newer programs either would not compile or failed to work as intended on older
versions of FreeBSD.

My advice to you would be to upgrade to the latest stable version of FreeBSD.
Do it in a clean environment. Don't try and upgrade over an old installation.
I have seen too many instances where old crap was left around and caused
headaches later. I usually reformat the drive(s) first, but that is your call.

Good luck!

--
Jerry