New Dovecot service: SMTP Submission (RFC6409)

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Fri Dec 22 15:28:14 EET 2017

On 12/22/2017, 1:19:45 AM, Aki Tuomi <aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi> wrote:
> Tanstaafl, maybe you could explain what you think the BURL/URLAUTH
> stuff is for, or do you have some particular use case you would be using
> it? Client support already is not required, and yes, it might take a
> long time before clients support it.

Hi Aki,

I would primarily just like to be able to disable 'Save to Sent' action
in Thunderbird for accounts using a backend Dovecot+Postfix server that
supports this.

So, I guess I'm really confused about exactly what this is and how it
will work.

The reason I thought that Client support was required was this:

On 12/12/2017, 1:39:08 PM, Stephan Bosch <stephan at rename-it.nl> wrote:
> However, keep in mind that for this particular feature we're just
> providing the "chicken" as it were. The "egg", i.e. client support, is
> still to come. Apart from Trojita (which I think is still not widely
> used), I know of no IMAP client supporting BURL/URLAUTH for message
> submission. I'd expect to see it first for clients that can truly
> benefit; i.e., mobile clients such as K9.

So, maybe this doesn't mean what I thought it meant... ?

Thank