Renewing certificates

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Dec 26 23:42:31 EET 2017

I'm setting up certbot/letsencrypt to provide a certificate for dovecot and
sendmail. Is it necessary to restart dovecot to load the new certificate,
as shown in most examples I find in blogs? That seems rude to established
connections. When does dovecot read the cert and key files? Once at startup
or each time a connection requests SSL? Is there a preferred locking
protocol when changing the two files to keep dovecot from reading one while
the other is being replaced and getting a mismatched pair?