Ubuntu Auth Issues with new repository code..

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Wed Dec 27 23:38:55 EET 2017

    Saw the new repository notification, and figured what the heck I
would try letting it upgrade me from the current v2.2.22 release that
apparently is in the Ubuntu 16.04 packages, to the new repository
release of v2.3.0.

  I followed the info on repo.dovecot.org, and first it started bitching
about lmtp (dovecot: master: Fatal: service(lmtp)
access(/usr/lib/dovecot/lmtp) failed: No such file or directory), so I
went back and installed the dovecot-lmtpd package and that seemed to fix
that issue.  Just FYI, I had dovecot-core, dovecot-imapd, and
dovecot-pop3d installed on the system.

  OK, so now it started up, said it was 2.3.0 and I thought all was
good, but now all authentication is failing.  I turned on some of the
logging debugging, and am seeing the below:

dovecot: auth-worker(19578): Debug:
pam(toss1,127.0.0.1,<IR3NJlZhFtZ/AAAB>): lookup service=dovecot
dovecot: auth-worker(19578): Debug:
pam(toss1,127.0.0.1,<IR3NJlZhFtZ/AAAB>): #1/1 style=1 msg=Password:
dovecot: auth-worker(19578): pam(toss1,127.0.0.1,<IR3NJlZhFtZ/AAAB>):
pam_authenticate() failed: System error
dovecot: auth: Debug: client passdb out: FAIL#0111#011user=toss1
dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts in 3 secs):
user=<toss1>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.1.1,
session=<IR3NJlZhFtZ/AAAB>

  I took and compared my auth files like 10-auth.conf, and
auth-system.conf.ext, and they are identical between the two versions,
even though they were overwritten as part of the upgrade.

  If I just uninstall the 2.3.0 release, and install 2.2.22 back on the
server, it all just starts working again.    So for now I am back on
2.2, but was willing to give 2.3 a run if I can get it going.   Any
ideas as to what to look at to get this working, would be great.   As
stated above, this is Ubuntu Server 16.04.03, and I am also running
Postfix and amavis-new, but don't think they should really impact me
using dovecot for email over POP3 or IMAP..

---
Howard Leadmon
PBW Communications, LLC
http://www.pbwcomm.com