Ubuntu Auth Issues with new repository code..

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi
Thu Dec 28 10:54:46 EET 2017

> On December 28, 2017 at 12:39 AM Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:
>

> On 28/12/2017 07:38, Howard Leadmon wrote:
>
> > Saw the new repository notification, and figured what the heck I would try letting it upgrade me from the current v2.2.22 release that apparently is in the Ubuntu 16.04 packages, to the new repository release of v2.3.0.
> >
> > I followed the info on repo.dovecot.org, and first it started bitching about lmtp (dovecot: master: Fatal: service(lmtp) access(/usr/lib/dovecot/lmtp) failed: No such file or directory), so I went back and installed the dovecot-lmtpd package and that seemed to fix that issue.  Just FYI, I had dovecot-core, dovecot-imapd, and dovecot-pop3d installed on the system.
> >
> > OK, so now it started up, said it was 2.3.0 and I thought all was good, but now all authentication is failing.  I turned on some of the logging debugging, and am seeing the below:
> >
> > dovecot: auth-worker(19578): Debug: pam(toss1,127.0.0.1,<IR3NJlZhFtZ/AAAB>): lookup service=dovecot
> > dovecot: auth-worker(19578): Debug: pam(toss1,127.0.0.1,<IR3NJlZhFtZ/AAAB>): #1/1 style=1 msg=Password:
> > dovecot: auth-worker(19578): pam(toss1,127.0.0.1,<IR3NJlZhFtZ/AAAB>): pam_authenticate() failed: System error
> > dovecot: auth: Debug: client passdb out: FAIL#0111#011user=toss1
> > dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts in 3 secs): user=<toss1>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.1.1, session=<IR3NJlZhFtZ/AAAB>
> >
> > I took and compared my auth files like 10-auth.conf, and auth-system.conf.ext, and they are identical between the two versions, even though they were overwritten as part of the upgrade.
> >
> > If I just uninstall the 2.3.0 release, and install 2.2.22 back on the server, it all just starts working again.    So for now I am back on 2.2, but was willing to give 2.3 a run if I can get it going.   Any ideas as to what to look at to get this working, would be great.   As stated above, this is Ubuntu Server 16.04.03, and I am also running Postfix and amavis-new, but don't think they should really impact me using dovecot for email over POP3 or IMAP..
> >
> > ---
> > Howard Leadmon
> > PBW Communications, LLC
> > http://www.pbwcomm.com
>
> Why on earth you think you could upgrade versions by using two unrelated
> and different repo's is beyond me.
>
> This has always been a problem, even back in the 90's with the RPMs, RH
> v say for example Fresh, because package maintainers will package
> differently.
>
> Its like trying to stick a cisco 1800 image on an ASR9K and expecting it
> to work perfectly.
>
> Though we don't use deb or rpm based systems and haven't for about 15
> years, if I was to, I think I'd be using the creators version, and not a
> distro's version.
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
>
> Noel Butler

Noel, we have actually tried to make the packages compatible with distros so that the upgrade would work. In general I agree with you, but in this case we did actually take the extra effort to see that they would be reasonably compatible with debian/ubuntu/centos packages.

That said, the upgrade is a major version change, so things might be different. Expecting that things "Just Work" is bit too much.

https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.3 should help figuring out what needs to be checked.

Aki