please help this newbie get started

Christian Kivalo ml+dovecot at valo.at
Sun Feb 5 08:58:06 UTC 2017

The '*' in passwd password field stands for login disabled. See man 5 passwd or http://www.manpages.info/freebsd/passwd.5.html

>2. In the new debug log, I get:
>dovecot: auth: Debug: Loading modules from directory:
>/usr/local/lib/dovecot/auth
>dovecot: auth: Debug: Read auth token secret from
>/var/run/dovecot/auth-token-secret.dat
>dovecot: auth: Debug: auth client connected (pid=3183)
>dovecot: auth: Debug: client in: AUTH    1    PLAIN    service=pop3
>session=RFp0lMFHHotLGJAC    lip=xxx    rip=xxx    lport=110
>rport=35614
>dovecot: auth: Debug: client passdb out: CONT    1
>dovecot: auth: Debug: client in: CONT<hidden>
>dovecot: auth: Debug: passwd(xxx,xxx,<RFp0lMFHHotLGJAC>): lookup
>dovecot: auth: Debug: client passdb out: FAIL    1    user=xxx
>user_disabled
>
>So it's something with passdb?
>
>3. In TestPop3Installation I can't get past the "Check that it's
>allowing remote logins" section. telnet gives me an error:
>
>-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed.
>

>which I expect, because I have telnet turned off. Does that mean I
>can't use plaintext authentication?
This is probably because the users login is disabled.

In one oft your provided log outputs you are trying to login as user 'www'. Why? The webserver user has the login normaly disabled.

--
Christian Kivalo