Quota error for disabled namespace

Riecken Jens rke at xxxlgroup.com
Thu Feb 9 15:33:55 UTC 2017

Hello,

Some of our users use a dedicated archive mailbox, so we've setup an archive namespace for it, which is by default disabled.

This namespace has its own quota which is defined by quota2* settings.

Every time a user without archive authenticates, dsync kicks in, lmtp delivers a message or imap is used an Error message gets recorded: "imap(user1): Error: quota: Unknown namespace: Archive/"

This happens about 441,756 times per hour - putting heavy load on the whole logging chain.

In my opinion it makes sense suppressing quota error messages for disabled namespaces or flag it as debug messages.

I'm thankful for every solution for this problem!

Best regards
Jens

Environment:
Dovecot Version 2.2.27 (c0f36b0)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.3 (Maipo)
Linux 3.10.0-514.6.1.el7.x86_64
doveadm user '*' |wc -l: 15946

Relevant configuration sections:

namespace archive {
  disabled = yes
  hidden = no
  inbox = no
  list = yes
  location = maildir:/archive/%h/Archive
  mailbox "Auto Archive" {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Archive
  }
  prefix = Archive/
 separator = /
  subscriptions = no
  type = private
}

The archive gets enabled by the authentication backend:

user_attrs      = ou=home=/mail/%U$/%u,=uid=500,=gid=500,quota=quota_rule=*:bytes=%{ldap:quota},archiveDisabled=namespace/archive/disabled=%{ldap:archiveDisabled:yes}

To ensure that the archive storage stays within sane boundaries there is a quota defined for the archive:

plugin {
  acl = vfile:/etc/dovecot/global-acls:cache_secs=300
  acl_shared_dict = proxy::acl
  mail_replica = tcp:mail-replica:12345
  quota = maildir:User_quota
  quota2 = maildir:Archive_quota:ns=Archive/
  quota2_rule = *:storage=10G
  quota_rule = *:storage=2G
  quota_rule2 = INBOX/Trash:storage=+10%%
  quota_warning = storage=95%% quota-warning 95 %u
  quota_warning2 = storage=90%% quota-warning 90 %u
  quota_warning3 = storage=85%% quota-warning 85 %u
  quota_warning4 = storage=80%% quota-warning 80 %u
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}