Upgrade from 1.2 to 2.2

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Wed Feb 15 12:38:26 UTC 2017

On Qua, 15 Fev 2017, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
>> For good pointers, see http://wiki.dovecot.org/Upgrading
>>
>> it's not complete, but it should give you some idea.
>
> I've already read that, and as wrote previously, everything broke down.
> dovecont -n wasn't able to convert the configuration file and dovecot
> wasn't started properly.
> The only way to fix was to downgrade.
>
> As this is a production server, I would like to avoid this kind of issue.....

Set up a server replicating exactly the configuration you have at
present. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, a virtual machine is
enough. Actually, a virtual machine is a great tool if you can make
snapshots and then rollback to known states if any attempt at a change
fails.

Do your upgrade work in this new server. Take note of the problems and
the solutions. If you have concrete issues, you can ask help in this
mailing list.

Once you get your test server working, you can then upgrade the real
server using what you've learned from the test server.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br